Brought to you live, from our woodland cabin home...

Friday, November 7, 2014

Sweet Muffins




Several mornings a week I make muffins for our breakfast.  They somehow soften the transition from sleep to waking.  It's an easy breakfast for Tyne to feed himself, and, while not the pinnacle of healthy eating, they're no worse than cold cereal. I use the recipe that my mom always used, which is the one her mom always used.  I don't know where it originated.

The best part (besides the taste) is the simple versatility.  For Tyne and me, I usually add fruit--blueberries, bananas, peaches, or anything else that seems good.  When my husband is home for breakfast, I put chocolate chips in them.



Basic Sweet Muffins
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1Tb. baking powder
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter, softened
1 egg
1 c. buttermilk
1 c. fruit or chocolate chips
Mix dry ingredients.  Cut in butter.  Mix wet ingredients (egg, milk).  Add wet ingredients to dry & stir to moisten. Fold in fruit or other additions.  Spoon into greased muffin pan.  Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes or until done.

Other ways to adapt the recipe:  
* substitute oil instead of butter & mix it in with the egg and milk.
* omit butter/oil entirely (still tasty, but will dry out more quickly if not eaten right away)
* use sweetmilk (regular milk) instead of buttermilk & omit the soda
* add a second egg if you like it somewhat richer
* decrease sugar and/or substitute whole wheat flour for half of regular flour

When my kitchen is running smoothly, I keep several jars of the dry ingredients already mixed for those mornings when I'm too clumsy to use measuring spoons.



No comments:

Post a Comment